Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Our first full day in Goma

After 5 days of travel we've arrived in one piece - with all our luggage no less! - to Goma. We were very warmly greeted
by the Heal Africa staff and each person has now been partnered with a shepherd, the person or department they'll be working closely with. This morning we worshipped with the hospital community, and even led singing for two songs - hakuna mungu Kama wewe, or There is no God like you, and Trading My Sorrows.

I myself am finally feeling well rested and ready to go after pushing through yesterday. There is so much that Heal Africa does outside the hospital grounds! I was fortunate to visit CAMME, a facility that trains street children in valuable trades like sewing and mechanics. I'll return Saturday for a soccer game and possibly teach the kids Ultimate Frisbee.

I'm thoroughly enjoying practicing my Swahili and French, despite completely confusing myself at times. I'll be working primarily with the media department in writing articles and stories about the various projects. Another person, Carleton, was here for two months several months ago to do similar training, so I'll be building off much of what he's done. I'm excited to exchange ideas and learn more about what they're doing, and have already made a friend in Freddy, the head of the department.

Blessings! Barikiwe!

Evans

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment